Your body's immune system protects you from disease and infection. But if you have an autoimmune disease, your immune system attacks healthy cells in your body by mistake. Autoimmune diseases can affect many parts of the body. No one is sure what causes autoimmune diseases. They do tend to run in families.
The tricky part about autoimmune diseases is that the symptoms are often subtle, hard to pinpoint, and/or easily mistaken for more common ailments like depression, a viral infection, or run-of-the-mill stress. Symptoms vary depending on the severity and location of related inflammation, but there is significant overlap among many autoimmune disorders. Furthermore, it is not uncommon to have more than one autoimmune disease, making someone's symptom profile even more complicated.
Symptoms that are common to most autoimmune disease include:
Swelling and redness
Numbness and tingling in the hands and feet
More common auto immune diseases are….
Hashimoto's thyroiditis causes an underactive thyroid gland (called hypothyroidism), meaning there is a thyroid hormone deficiency. Some of the more common symptoms include:
Unexplained weight gain
Feeling cold when others are hot
With celiac disease, the immune system attacks the lining of a person's small intestines in response to gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye, barley, and many prepared foods. While the symptoms of celiac disease vary from person to person, some of the more common ones include:
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a neurological disorder in which a person's immune system attacks the fatty covering surrounding nerve fibers in the brain and spinal cord, called myelin sheaths. Symptoms vary significantly based on where in the brain and/or spinal cord the attacks occur. Some of the more common symptoms include:
Numbness and tingling
When your immune system attacks your joints, rheumatoid arthritis (RA) may develop. At the onset of RA, a person may notice joint pain, stiffness, swelling, and warmth, especially in the joints at the base of the fingers and toes. Besides joint symptoms, other early symptoms include:
As the disease progresses, inflammation may occur in other parts of the body (besides the joints), like the heart and lungs, causing chest pain and trouble breathing.
What causes auto-immunity ?
Conventional medicine will tell you that autoimmune diseases are caused by genetics. And there certainly is a genetic component to them. However, twin studies have shown that genetics only accounts for about 25% of the chance that you will develop an autoimmune disorder. That means the remaining 75% of the picture is environmental.
Remember, that all autoimmune diseases are a problem of the immune system. It is by addressing the root causes that you ease the burden on your immune system that caused it to go rogue and attack your own tissues in the first place. Then, once your optimal immune function has been restored and your body is no longer attacking itself, your symptoms disappear.
So, if you have Hashimoto’s, your thyroid is typically able to begin producing its hormones again, if you have Rheumatoid arthritis your joint pain subsides, and so on.
The important thing to keep in mind is that YOU have the ability to take your health back into your own hands. Your genes do not control your destiny, and if you’re willing to commit to addressing the true underlying causes of your condition, you can eliminate your symptoms and reclaim your vitality!
Kinesiology helps by dealing with the stress ( which is a major cause of illness) in your life, helping bring back the communication between your brain and your body by identifying where your body is going wrong and clearing the energetic stresses and blockages that are causing this dis-ease to manifest. Muscle testing can identify which are the best choices for wellness and help clear traumas that are keeping the body unwell. With all the research on epigenetics these days, it has been proven by changing diet and lifestyle that genes can be modulated up or down depending on the health issues that are involved.
I have specialised in working with auto-immune symptoms for over 15 years now, and had some wonderful results. There is no need to suffer in silence and there is hope to lead a normal life.